How Can I Prevent Leg Ulcers?
Prevention of leg ulcers requires both on-going treatment for present ulcerations and preventive measures against future ulcerations.
On-going treatment includes antimicrobials and dressing strategies with close surveillance of ulcerations.
Prevention of treatment failure and future ulcers relies on:
- Smoking cessation
- Good nutrition. With the aid of consultation with a dietitian/nutritionist.
- Mobilization. Prolonged immobilization increase the risk of treatment failure and for new ulcerations. If self-ambulation or mobilization is impossible due to handicaps, passive motion and physical therapy can be used.
- Avoidance of immunosuppressive drugs. Inflammation is only one stage of the continuum of healing, and suppressing it can have more risk than benefit in the healing process.
- Diabetics. Strict glycemic control.
- Management of peripheral vascular disease. Ischemia my require re-vascularization procedures. Chronic venous insufficiency can be addressed via compression stockings, weight loss, ambulation, and avoidance of prolonged sitting or standing.