How can I prevent cardiovascular disease?
Prevention of cardiovascular disease (CVD) is best accomplished by the adhering to the established threshold used for screening, which includes those at high risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD):
- Age >50
- Metabolic syndrome
- Hypertension and its risk factors, obesity and dyslipidemia
- Family history of stroke, coronary artery disease, or cardiac events
As such, prevention is via:
- Lipid testing
- Management of hypertension by diet, exercise, and when necessary, antihypertensive medication
- Smoking cessation and/or elimination of all tobacco products.
- Weight management
- Diagnostic imaging for atherosclerosis, thrombus/embolus, aneurysm, etc
- Electrocardiography, cardiac ultrasonography, and stress testing