How Can I Manage My Vascular Screening Results?
Once screening indicates risk factors or the presence of vascular disease, management and treatment centers on risk elimination or the prevention of further progression.
- Smoking cessation therapy via counseling, support groups, or medication that impacts the neurotransmitter, dopamine, such as varenicline (Chantix)
- Weight management initiated by a registered/certified dietitian/nutritionist to implement a legitimate diet with realistic goals
- Treatment of hypertension with diet and exercise, and if necessary, antihypertensive medication
- Treatment of dyslipidemia with diet and exercise and if necessary, statin medications
- Strict glycemic control for Types 1 and 2 diabetics and addressing insulin resistance with metformin
- Anticoagulation/antiplatelet therapy for vascular disease involving risk of stroke or deep vein thrombosis
- Continued aggressive surveillance via frequent visits, blood work, and diagnostic imaging