Is There a Test or Diagnosis for Smoking?
There is no test for smoking, as the diagnosis is based on whether one smokes or does not. Testing related to smoking is for the effects of smoking and second-hand smoke on the lungs and the cardiovascular system.
- COPD and emphysema: Pulmonary function tests, pulse oximetry, and diagnostic imaging.
- Lipid profiles to identify dyslipidemia for treatment with lifestyle change and statins.
- Atherosclerosis: Non-invasive tests for arterial disease, including segmental limb pressure measurements, exercise testing, and ultrasound imaging; invasive tests such as arteriography.
- Serial sphygmomanometry: For blood pressure trends related to the onset or surveillance of hypertension.
- Coagulation studies to identify hypercoagulable states.